Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Week 2: Reading Diary B

Starting out, I'm just amazed at how peaceful and accepting Rama is of what was asked of him. He seems to be very wise, even without knowing that he is Vishnu. He is definitely an old soul. Lakshmana, on the other hand, seems to be a very young soul. I'm really glad that Lakshmana and Sita insisted on going with him though. I don't think he should have to be alone all those fourteen years.

Although Kaikeyi is a terrible, cruel woman, her son definitely inherited more of Dasaratha's characteristics. He seems much more noble, and I hate that, because of what Kaikeyi did, he may be looked at in the same way as her. 

The author made an excellent point about how interesting it was to see two princes, arguing over who should rule, each thinking the other should. All of the sons in this royal family seem to be good men who care for each other deeply. That is one of the things I am finding myself to like most about this story. The author seems to have a much more optimistic view of humanity than other authors do. I also like how it gives me characters that I want to cheer for.

ENCOUNTERS IN EXILE
I don't think I trust this new Kamavalli character, as she is the sister of Ravana. It seems so weird to me that Rama's excuse not to marry her could not just be that he was already married! It's strange to think of any man being able to have multiple wives. I'm glad Lakshmana was there to protect Sita from that terrible demon. Soorpanaka is pathetic in her attempts to covet Rama. I can’t believe that any woman would be so desperate that she would offer to be a man’s slave.

THE GRAND TORMENTOR
Soorpanaka remains crazy in this chapter. How can she seriously think that Rama would ever want her, especially if she caused his separation from Sita. She is crazy! Also, what is with Ravana thinking that Sita is just some possession for him to collect. What is even more bothersome is that there are guys that I know that think in that same way! Ravana is impossible to please (talk about high maintenance!).
Also, he hasn’t even met her or seen her! He’s wreaking havoc on Earth over some woman he has never even met!


I actually felt kind of bad for Mareecha. There he was trying to turn his life around, and Ravana has to come and ruin it. Also, I was shocked out Rama’s foolishness! He is not usually one to fall for such obvious trickery. I guess love really can make you foolish. Rama and Sita fall for tricks that if had not been for their love for each other, they would never have fallen for. This chapter ended very badly. I was saddened that Jatayu, who had been so loyal, died, and that Rama lost his beloved to Ravana. I hope that Rama and Sita will be reunited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment