Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 2 Storytelling: Bharata's story

As Bharata journeyed home from visiting his grandfather, he questioned why he would have been called home so early. Bharata had always been close with his father, much more so than his mother, so naturally he feared that his father may be sick. Instead of dwelling on these fears, he pushed them aside and thought about how happy he was to be returning home. His family was so important to him, and he had missed them greatly, especially his brothers.
When Bharata entered Ayodhya, he sensed that something was terribly wrong, but he tried to remain optimistic. Ayodhya, usually a festive, beautiful place, now looked seemed so melancholy. On his arrival at the palace, the servants, the advisors, everyone stared glaringly at him. What could he have done to warrant such a reaction? He soon found out. After learning that his father had passed into the afterlife, Bharata broke down in tears. His first thought was to find Rama, but Rama and Lakshmana were nowhere to be found. His mother, Kaikeyi was his last resort, and he wanted some answers.
Bharata questioned, “Mother, what has happened?”
“Your father became very sick after Rama left him, and he could not bear the separation, so the old man is dead,” Kaikeyi responded coldly.
“How can you be so heartless! That is my father you are talking about. Why would Rama leave?” Bharata asked angrily.
Kaikeyi told him the story of how Dasaratha owed her two promises.
“Now with Rama out of the way, you will be King,” she said triumphantly.
Bharata suddenly felt sick to his stomach as he realized what had taken place while he was away.
“You are not my mother! You are a terrible demon of a woman. I wish nothing, but tragedy for you. The only good thing that has come of this is that I am King so I can banish you from this kingdom. You are just lucky that I am not banishing you from the Earth. You will leave immediately and never come back, or your sentence will be death. I disown you,” Bharata raged.
Bharata turned to leave, but heard a terrible growl. Slowly, he turned and found in front of him, not his mother, but Kooni. Kooni, his mother’s servant who no longer maintained the appearance of a woman, but of a demon. Bharata pulled out his sword.
“Where is my true mother? Answer me, you wretched demon!” he yelled.
Kooni responded, “I needed her out of the way, if I was to control the throne.”
Bharata quickly understood the meaning of this. His adrenaline rushed. He took a step toward Kooni, who blew fire at him. Bharata stepped back and dodged another attack. After Kooni’s missed attack, Bharata saw an opening. He quickly took advantage of this and Kooni was soon vanquished. 

After Bharata’s battle with Kooni for what she had done to Rama and Dasaratha, the people accepted and loved him again. Bharata found Rama to tell him what had passed and to ask him to take the throne, but Rama refused. For fourteen years, Bharata served to protect Ayodhya, until Rama could return.
Image information: Bharata questions Kaikeyi on his return home 
Web Source: KidsGen

Author's Note: In my retelling of Bharata and Kaikeyi's conversation on his return home, I turned Kooni into the real villain of the story. In the original story, Kooni had planted the seed in Kaikeyi's mind that Bharata should be king. I was really bothered by what took place and how Dasaratha had died, so I wanted his death to be revenged. I thought about having Kaikeyi turn into a demon, but I didn't want Bharata to have to kill his own mother, and since Kooni was the real reason for Kaikeyi's change of heart, I had her true personality revealed. Another reason I wrote this story is because I really liked Bharata and wanted him to be seen as a hero as well. 

Bibliography: Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.


5 comments:

  1. I really liked your post! It was great how you extended the story to give Kooni the punishment she deserved for ruining so many lives. It was so creative how you changed the story to clearly paint people as good and others as evil. I really liked your descriptions of Bharata's thought process as he comes home and later learns why. I sympathized with his anger and pain, and he did seem like a hero in his own right. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you told this story. I also feel the same way you do about how Bharatha does not really deserve the hate that he is given in the beginning of the story. Even though he doesn’t get the amount of respect that he actually deserves, he does the right thing and tries to bring his brother back. When he couldn’t, he takes a vow not to return to Ayodhya and run his kingdom from the neighboring town. I also love his character in this story. He truly loves his brother and wouldn’t betray him, even if it meant giving up the kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on this story! I enjoyed how you presented the story in your own point of view but made it sound powerful and interesting. I personally enjoyed reading Bharata's role in the tale as well. He is such a caring brother and I've always wanted a brother in my life. I truly feel he plays a huge role in the whole tale. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really great recreation of the original story. I like how you turned Kooni into the true villain and had the transformation into the demon. I also really like the portrayal of Bharatha soho tends to always get the short end of the stick. He is so faithful to both his parents and brother and would do anything to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like your version of this story more so than how it was told in the book. I also didn't like how that scene played out with Kaikeyi being so treacherous. Kooni being a demon was a good way to keep the stories similar and still find a way to make the mother somewhat innocent. I still feel bad for Bharata when I read this story because instead of being happy that he is going to be king he feels bad and insists that Rama becomes king instead of him. I wonder what it would've been like had Dasaratha chosen Bharata to be king originally.

    ReplyDelete