Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9: Reading Diary A

Chapter 1: THE EIGHTH BABY
Talk about love at first sight! How crazy that the first thing that Santanu to say to the woman was asking her to marry him! In modern times, that would really freak a girl out! This story definitely starts out rather strange! Murdering babies that you carried for 9 months by drowning? That's horrific! I feel much better after learning that their spirits went straight to heaven. Poor Devavratha! I think it's rather sad that he will never be able to marry and fall in love. That is definitely much different than our previous protagonist in the Ramayana. Based on the knowledge that Prince Devavratha must remain celibate, it seems like the logical decision for King Santanu should be to go ahead and marry the fisherman's daughter. Prince Devavratha may be the successor, but he will never be able to provide a successor for after he is dead. It's interesting how fate and destiny are portrayed in this story, just like the Ramayana. Everything seems to already be set out and people always seem to make the decisions that lead to the fate that has already been prophesied. Another common theme that I have noticed is how important it it to keep your promises. This was very important to Devavratha, just like it was very important to Rama that his father keep his vow to Kaikeyi.
I felt sad for Ambika in this story. Although the book didn't make a big deal out of it, it sounds like she was basically raped, and because of that her child will be born blind. How terrible would it be to find out that your child will never be able to see colors, to see your face, but instead will be condemned to a world of darkness. I felt equally sad for Ambalika too. These women did not have a say in whether they has sex with Vyasa, and they clearly did not want to have to do that.
I found it kind of humorous that Pandu died while having intercourse, What a way to go out!

Chapter 2: ENTER-- THE PLAYERS
I'm a little confused about how Dhritarashtra and his wife conceived one hundred children? That would definitely not be possible!

So just to keep track of who is who, I wanted to make a list of Pandu's five sons so I don't get confused!
The Pandavas
1. Yudhistira: truthful, courageous, and strong
2. Bhimasena: endowed with extraordinary strength
3. Arjuna: knowledgeable about weapons
4. Nakula: twin brother of Sahadeva
5. Sahadeva: twin brother of Nakula
*Also, Karna, the offspring of the Sun god

Sons of Dhritarashtra
1. Duryodhana: eldest son
2. Dussasana: second eldest son
3-100

It definitely seems like a quality over quantity thing here. Although Pandu's wives only bore 5 children, they were all blessed with special skills that made them stand out. Dhritarashtra's many children on the other hand all just sort of blended together, none of them sticking out. This must have really bothered Dhritarahstra. I thought it was interesting that Karna seemed to favor the sons of Dhritarashtra, even thought three of the Pandava brothers are his half brothers. Of course, none of them know that except for Kunthi.
King Drupada is definitely one of those examples of power going to a person's head. That's terrible that he would be so kind in childhood, but be corrupted by power in adulthood.

Chapter 3: HOUSE OF JOY- AND ASHES
I can understand why King Dhritarashtra would be upset that his nephews are being noticed so much more than his sons, but I'm worried that he will go too far in trying to change this, Also, why would he name one of his nephews as the heir, that is his own stupid fault! I think he will end up exiling all of them. This minister character seems like a weasel. I'm glad that Yudhistira can see through their devious plan. I'm curious to see how Yudhistira handles the situation. I can easily say that I find myself liking the Pandavas the most in this book so far. Yudhistira was very clever in faking their deaths. King Dhritarashtra would not have given up until he believed they were all dead.

Chapter 4: BRIDE FOR FIVE
Bhima, with his extraordinary strength, has taken up the role of the protector of the group. The five sons with their mother seem to make up a very tight-knit group who all care deeply for each other. For my storybook, I actually considered writing about Ghatotkacha, who is half human/half rakshasa. Although he has some rakshasa in him, he is a very noble character. I think that it is very strengthening to the characters of the Pandavas to live with nothing. They grew up with privilege, but to truly be able to understand how other people live gives them a lot of perspective. I loved reading about Bhima standing up to that bully of a Rakshasa. I think I could definitely use this for my storytelling post and modernize to a story about a bully in high school taking kids' lunches

I wonder how the princesses felt about these competitions for their hand in marriage. I mean, yeah it's cool and all that a bunch of guys are competing for you, but then you're stuck with the winner, even if you don't want to be with him. I'm glad that Karna did not force her to be with him. I hope that Arjuna will treat her well. I think he will.
Well I definitely did not expect that she would become the wife to all of her brothers. I guess it is the exact same concept of a man taking many wives, but you definitely don't usually hear of a woman taking many husbands. Interesting gender reversal!



No comments:

Post a Comment