Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 10: Reading Diary A

CHAPTER NINE: Hundred Questions
Duryodhana is really getting on my nerves, and so is Dhritarashtra. Dhritarashtra is the king and his sons' father, but he doesn't act like it at all. How can he not stand up to his own son, what kind of father is he??
The pandavas are much better people than Dhritarashtra's sons. I was kind of surprised that they went to Duryodhana's aid. Duryodhana has never done anything but try to have them murdered and exiled. Even though they helped him, I'm sure Duryodhana will still be a terrible person and try to fight them.
Poor Yudhistira! Can you imagine finding all four of your brothers dead, having to answer hundreds of questions, and then choosing only one to live? I liked his reasoning for why he chose Nakula though. Although both mother's would have lost sons, at least one from each mother would live on. I also liked what Yudhistira said to the greatest wonder in the world. I never thought about that before, but it is very true. When someone we love dies, we mourn their loss, but seem to think our death is some very far off thing, when the truth is that it is inevitable. I was glad that Yama had come to them and granted them the boon of being unrecognized. They will finally be able to return to their kingdom soon!
I think it's kind of cool that the brothers were all able to create new identities for themselves. Personally, I would want Nakula's identity! I love horses too.
Although the book hasn't said much about Draupadi being closer to any of the brothers, I've found that Bhima and Draupadi seem to be closest. Bhima always seems to be the one protecting her.

CHAPTER TEN: Servitude
Duryodhana is so foolish! Why can't he just leave well enough alone? If he just chose to make peace with the pandavas, all would be well. Prince Uttara is such a coward! Aren't princes supposed to be brave? He is definitely useless to Arjuna. I was surprised that Arjuna revealed himself to Prince Uttara, but I suppose he didn't have much of a choice.

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
I was not surprised to see that Krishna would fight for the Pandavas. I was a little surprised that Krishna gave any support to Duryodhana's army, as he clearly favors the Pandavas.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
The family dynamic of the Dhritarashtra's family is so messed up. Even, Ghandari is willing to stand up to her son, but Dhritarashtra, the coward, cannot. I wish he was more brave. Everything could be avoided that way, but of course Duryodhana is already king basically. I can't wait for the Pandavas to destroy him!

No comments:

Post a Comment