Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 10: Reading Diary B

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Action
Based on the chapter title, I'm going to assume that the war will begin in this chapter! Although, I think that war is definitely necessary in this situation, I do understand where Yudhistira is coming from. If only they could just fight Duryodhana, but to have to fight all of these elders and people that you grew up with as well would make the decision very difficult. I'm guessing we will have to see those elders die later in the story, and that makes me sad. Krishna is a wise character. He knows Duryodhana's character well, and that he will never agree to peace.
I also wanted to mention how much I love the character of Vidura. He always has such good advice for the king, even if the king never listens to a word of it. Personally, I appreciate how truthful he always is with the king, no matter what.
Although I knew Duryodhana's character to be very evil, even I was surprised that he would stoop to the level of keeping Krishna as a prisoner! I love Krishna called Duryodhana out as soon as he got there for being such a villain!
Duryodhana is such a rotten egg. I can't believe how disrespectful he is of his parents.
I did not really expect Krishna to pull Karna aside. Karna appears to have more quality of character than I thought. I was surprised at how respectful and appreciative he was of Krishna. I understand why he feels that he must remain loyal to Duryodhana, although I disagree with it.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Hesitant Hero
If I were Duryodhana, I would feel pretty anxious after all of those bad omens. He is so foolish for thinking it is in the cards for him to win the battle. I feel so sorry for the Pandavas since they have to fight people they love. That is so terrible. I agree with Krishna though, the war must happen. I think it's interesting in this book that Krishna is so aware of his godly status, while Rama was so unaware of it in the Ramayana. I also found it interesting that they were able to put the war on pause basically. That is so different than war today. Battles fought today use the element of surprise in their attacks, while these battles are set to happen during only restricted times when the armies are gathered in a specific location. That would be a relief to be able to truly rest without fear of attack after each day of battle.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Delirium of Destruction
Bhishma's death was not quite what I expected, but I am glad that he was able to die on his own terms. I was also impressed that Karna asked for his forgiveness.
Duryodhana is crazy! Does he actually think that the war could be ended by capturing Yudhistira and forcing him into another gambling game? That idea is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Duryodhana is also incredibly unappreciative of all of the people fighting for him. I can't believe he is complaining about how bad Bhishma and Drona are fighting. He should appreciate the fact that they are fighting for him at all!
I thought it was really sad that Arjuna and Bhima both lost their sons. I can't imagine the grief they must have felt.
I actually disagreed with Krishna about lying to Drona. That seems very cruel!
What Bhima said made me feel a little bit better about the Pandavas lying. I did not realize Drona had been so much in the wrong.
Bhima went a little far with the whole blood sucking thing! That was really gross!
Duryodhana seems to think he deserves so much honour, even when he has never been one to be honourable to other. I was glad to see he finally got what he deserved. So many lives were lost because of his evil, envious heart. Of course, he could not even realize how wrong he was, even in the end.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Victory and Sorrow
I didn't even think about how much Dhritarashtra and Gandhari would lose in the war. To lose one hundred sons, I'm amazed they did not just kill themselves honestly.
This definitely would be a very bittersweet victory. As Yudhistira said, so many mothers lost their sons during that war.
I would be pretty bothered too if I were Yudhistiras' brothers. They just lost their sons and so much during this war for their kingdom, and Yudhistira is over there complaining about how he just wants to live a life with no wealth or worry. It's mainly his fault they lost the kingdom in the first place! I definitely thought this ending was much more bittersweet than the ending in the Ramayana. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book though. It's amazing that all of the brothers survived everything they went through!


No comments:

Post a Comment