Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Week 7: Reading Diary B

THE WONDERFUL RETURN
I love that Rama took the time to visit his friends and allies as he journeyed home, like Bharadwaja and Guha, although I do wish he would hurry home so Bharata doesn't try to kill himself! I'm glad that he at least sent Hanuman ahead to send a message to Bharata.
Wow, Hanuman's story of what happened in the fourteen years is so much more condensed! Basically, Ravana stole Sita, so Rama fought for her and won, so Ravana is dead. Why would Hanuman think that would please them? Although, for someone to ask you to sum up fourteen years is a pretty crazy question to ask anyway.
I love the lyrics of Valmiki's about Ayodhya and what it is to Rama returning home after fourteen years. It sounded beautiful! Bharata's reunion with Rama and Lakshmana was wonderful. Even after fourteen years, you can see how much the brothers care for each other.
It sounds like such an amazing celebration!I was surprised that Manthara came to apologize to Sita and make mends. While Manthara did what she did out of bad intentions, you can't really upset when it was obviously meant to happen. It also made me happy that Lakshmana was finally reunited with his wife. How lonely she must have been! The coronation and telling of what the world was like during Rama's rule seemed like the happily ever after, so I am interested to see what happens in the last book and why in the world Sita was sent away!

IN WHAT DREAM
It seemed kind of strange to me that Pushpaka could talk since it is supposed to be a chariot, but then again how many chariots have you heard of that can hold thousands to millions of people!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
Rama is seriously going to send Sita away because the people are saying that Ravana touched her! She was nothing but loyal during that time, and clearly she didn't want to be there, she was kidnapped! This is ridiculous! How dare he send her into the forest? She is about to have their children! If I were Sita, I would never ever forgive him! Literally, this part bothers me so much! And that whole thing about "this is what must be, even though we have no idea" is not helpful at all, I mean it's like "well.. people are saying Sita's a whore for being kidnapped and held against her will even though she was completely loyal the whole time.. so I think I'll abandon her in the forest, but obviously this is part of destiny, so it's okay.."
Seriously, who thinks like that??

Well I was kind of surprised by the story about Lord Narayana, who is one in the same as Lord Vishnu. The craziest thing is that Vasishtha knows Rama and Sita, and he is the one who made this happen, although I still believe in the whole free will thing, so I don't really think that Rama had to do it.

FAREWELL AGAIN, MY LADY AND MY KING
No one else would probably take note of this, but since it applies to my storybook, I found it interesting that the book mentioned that Vibhishana and Trijata both came, because in some versions, including my storybook, they are said to be father and daughter. I love that all of Rama's allies came together for this festival, at a much happier time than during the war against Ravana.
I would definitely believe that it took Lava and Kusa a year to tell this story, especially with all the imagery and excessive details! I think it's wonderful that Valmiki's poetry is what brought Rama and Sita and their twin sons together after twelve years!
I found King Janaka's offers humorous in this chapter. He's starting at a billion dollars and going down to a hundred dollars.
Well so much for Rama and Sita being reunited in this life, but at least they will be reunited as Vishnu and Lakshmi.
The death of Lakshmana was definitely not what I expected. It wasn't really fair because that hermit was going to curse the whole city if Lakshmana did not interrupt! It seems that the end of Rama's rule is near.
I think Hanuman must be Rama's most loyal servant. He truly lived to serve Rama. It was interesting how many of Rama's supporters went with him into afterlife. Aside from Rama never really spending time with Lava and Kusa, I was very pleased with the conclusion of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment