Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 7: Reading Diary A

RAVANA AND TIME
Malyavan was fortunate to be taken away before the impending battle. His story seemed very peaceful, and I think that he ended up somewhere very nice 
You definitely would not want to be in Ravana's army right now, especially with all of the bad omens showing up! Man, Jambavan is brutal! The way he kills them sounds very gruesome, indeed! Also, the corpses in the sea is also extremely creepy. The thought gives me the shivers! 
The names that they came up with for Ravana were quite humorous to me. This guy is not "the Defender of Love and Enemy of Hate", nor is he "the Protector of Heaven and the Guardian of the truth". He is literally like the complete opposite of those things! 
I was kind of surprised at how gentle Ravana was with Suka. Suka basically told him everyone blamed him and thought he was stupid for getting them into this mess, which is very true. Although Suka said those things, I think Ravana really appreciated his honesty and loyalty. Although Ravana clearly does not have good character, I like that he finally spared his people and chose to take on Rama alone. I also can't imagine him just dancing before the battle. What a funny sight! 
It's interesting to me how invincible Ravana believes himself to be, even after all that has happened! He goes around taunting Time, acting as if it has no power over him. Time will get us all someday, and Ravana's clock has just run out of time. Although it appears that Ravana overpowers Time, in the long run I think that Time will come out victorious.
I think that Indra's chariot definitely helped level the playing field. This is going to be such an epic battle! It really showed Rama's character that he displayed so much empathy and appreciation for his charioteer, Matali. I'm glad that Rama took the time to help him. I believe in Narayan's version, Ravana actually spoke everything, and there was not a letter. I think I like this version with the letter better though. It's interesting that he knew all along who Rama truly was, and still chose to go up against him. I almost forget that all of this story was supposed to be told by Lava and Kusa. The end of this chapter definitely sounded more like something that would be sung by them though.

PART THREE: THE DHARMA WHEEL
I thought it was sweet how impatient Rama became after the battle to see Sita! I also think that Vibhishana will be a wonderful king for Lanka. If anyone can turn things around there, it is him. Mandodari's story all kind of seemed a little confusing to me, like a riddle, but I am glad that her father took care of her.
I would have been so confused if I were Rama when Indra and Agni talk in all of these riddles about who he really is! I don't think he was ready for the truth just yet. I was happy to finally see Sita and Rama reunited, and this time Rama did force her to walk through fire or whatever that test was in the last book. Their reunion was very sweet.
I also thought the friendship that had formed between Vibhishana and Hanuman was really special. It was very lucky that Hanuman had been so trusting of Vibhishana the day that he had left Ravana and came to Rama's camp. I definitely would have wanted Hanuman as a friend as well. It was amazing that Hanuman was able to revive all of those that had died fighting for Rama. This chapter definitely ended on a happy note. I am very curious to see what happens in the last section of the book! I am especially curious to learn why Rama ends up sending Sita away, and also his reaction when he learns who Lava and Kusa really are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment