Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Storytelling for Week 5: Asuras Anonymous

Author's Note: Hi everyone! After sending my storybook introduction to Laura, she suggested that I post my introduction for this week's storytelling and get some feedback on it since Tumburu/Viradha from this week's reading is the host of my storybook. My storybook is called Asuras Anonymous, and it is about all of the asuras who struggled to be good! Hope ya'll enjoy it! 
Here it is:
At a secret little building in Lanka, a number of asuras discretely shuffled in and took a seat.
After everyone had arrived, a heavenly character rose and spoke. “Welcome to this week’s meeting of Asuras Anonymous! I am delighted to see some new faces, as well as some familiar ones. Our hope is that these meetings can help encourage each of you to resist the demon within you and find your light. Through sharing with others that face many similar struggles, you will find that you don’t have to go through this journey alone. I understand that many of you have families that may not support your decision to be here tonight, that may not support your decision to follow Dharma and have good character. If this describes you, please know that you have a family here who supports your decision. Please, everyone, introduce yourselves and tell us what is on your heart. Everything that is said here, stays here. I shall go first.
“My name is Tumburu.”
“Hi, Tumburu,” the group echoed.
“I am a Gandharva. I hold these meetings because I was once cursed and found myself turned into an asura called Viradha. In this demon body, I was unable to resist my newfound evil, cannibalistic urges. Although I have now been freed from that life, I continue to struggle with guilt for the actions I committed while under this curse. I will share more about this later. Understanding the challenges that you are faced with, I feel that the best way I can help you is through these meetings. Thank you for being here. Whoever would like to speak, feel free to when you are ready.”
“Hi, my name is Mareecha, and I am an asura. This is my first time here.”
“Hello, Mareecha,” the group said welcomingly.
“Throughout much of my life, I have been surrounded by family who has only brought out the worst in me. My mother and father, Thataka and Sunda, led me down a wicked path, along with my brother Subahu. This path led to the destruction of both my parents. Soon after, my brother and I attempted to avenge the death of our mother, but I found myself brother-less instead. For a long time, I felt bitter and angry at the gods and the humans who killed my parents and brother, and I gave into my evil side. I regret that I have killed many people. After barely escaping with my life during one of my terrible episodes, I realized that there was a reason that my parents and brother were dead. Unless I wanted to end up like them, I must change my ways and live a better life in accordance with Dharma. I hope that my story, which I will share with you, can help each of you in some small way.”
“Thank you for sharing, Mareecha,” Tumburu said encouragingly.
“I’ll pass,” one asura said.
A few more asuras passed.
“I am Vibhishana, and I am an asura.”
“Hello, Vibhishana.”
“As you all probably know, my older brother is the demon king, Ravana. Oftentimes, I find myself torn between my loyalty to my brother and the ways of Dharma. I question if remaining in my brother’s presence is the best choice for my daughter and me. Sometimes, I think I may be able to make a difference in that position, because I may advise my brother. However, lately he has taken an interest in destroying the warrior, Rama. I worry that I may be forced to participate in his evil plans, and I am not sure I have the power to resist his requests of me. I come to these meetings, because they give me strength. I believe that I will really need that strength in the coming weeks as I share my struggles. Thank you all for listening.”
“Hi everyone, I am Trijata, and I am an asura.”
“Hello, Trijata.”
“I have been coming to these meetings with my father, Vibhishana. Although Vibhishana is my father, as a rakshasi in Lanka, I am forced to be a servant to my Uncle Ravana. As a servant, my uncle has made me do terrible things. I have held humans captive for him and stood aside cowardly while he has eaten innocent humans. I fear that a life in Lanka will force me to continue down this path. I hope someday to be taken away from this terrible place.”
“Thank you for being here today, everybody. You are not alone in your struggles. I hope to see you all again next week,” Tumburu said, closing the meeting. 

Image information: An image with a quote by J.K. Rowling 
Web Source: Pinterest

Bibliography: 
1. Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.
2. Narayan, R.K. (1972) The Ramayana.

4 comments:

  1. Wow- not only is this story incredibly creative, but it’s interesting and so unique as well. I love how you gave a new perspective on the characters and their struggle between good and evil. Apart from the words itself, the spacing also helps the story not seem to overwhelming, and I’m very impressed by the detail you added. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I thought your overall idea for this was brilliant because I haven't seen anyone do this style yet, and it's so interesting. You really captured their feelings and you described why each of them wanted to be at this meetings with great detail, I felt like I was there! Also, I think that this is a really cool topic for your storybook. There's so much that you can do with it to keep it interesting and keep the reader's focus. Great job this week, I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your format made the whole story click for me. It fit well into the mould of the AA meeting you were referencing but also included a great twist -- resisting the demon inside instead of alcohol or another issue. I like this style also because you could repeat it as the characters develop to continue telling the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taylor,

    I loved the format of your story! You did a great job including all the details and still making it seem in context of an AA Meeting. Resisting the demon instead of alcohol and drugs was GENIUS. Each character was built really well and I feel like you could easily progress this concept in a storybook. Great job. I'm excited to read your other stories!

    ReplyDelete