Thursday, September 11, 2014

Storytelling for Week 4: Sita's Two Greatest Blessings

When Sita arrived in the forest, she became very scared. Although she was saddened that Rama would ask her to leave, she understood. She feared for the lives of her unborn children. When she found out that she had been blessed with two children, all of her concern was focused on them. She no longer thought of herself, only them. Before Sita had left Rama, they had chosen the names Lava and Kusa. 
As she thought about Rama, tears rolled down her face as she remembered their goodbyes. Rama, a strong warrior, had tears in his eyes as he held her tight. She felt so sad for him that he would not be able to see his sons grow up. Eventually, Sita found herself left alone in the forest, when a hermit came to her named Valmiki. She went with him and found many companions to dwell with and protect her. As the months passed, Sita's belly grew and grew, and her joy about her sons overwhelmed the melancholy she felt about Rama. Finally the day came for her sons to arrive. After a long labor, Sita held in her arms, two beautiful, perfect baby boys. Tears of joy flowed from Sita's eyes. 


Image information: Twin baby boys
Web Source: Telegraph

The boys grew up well. As soon as they could walk and talk, Lava and Kusa were helping all those around them. Sita was so proud of them Valmiki had become their adopted grandpa. They loved hearing his stories. Their favorite story was that of Rama, the brave, honorable warrior King, who could conquer all demons. 
One day Sita came to Valmiki.
"Valmiki, do you think it is time that they know who Rama really is?" Sita asked. 
"I do. I believe they are old enough to understand," Valmiki answered. 
Sita grew very nervous about telling Lava and Kusa. What if they resented their father for not being there while they grew up? How could they understand him sending me alone into the forest? Would they understand and still love him? 
Finally, Sita got up the courage and went to them.
"My sweet boys, I have something very important to tell you," Sita said, as she sat them down.
"What is it, our dear mother?" Kusa inquired.
"You know well of King Rama, right?" Sita asked.
"Yes! When I grow up, I want to be just like him!" Lava exclaimed. 
"He is a wonderful man to have as a role model. I want you to know that he is your father, and he loves you so very much." Sita told them.
Kusa and Lava looked at her in shock.
"Are you upset that I have not told you until now?" Sita asked them.
"No, of course not, but how could this be? Why has he been absent from our lives?'
After Sita explained what had passed, the children understood and happily accepted the news of who their father was. 
Soon after, the people of the forest heard word of the most magnificent thing that the boys had ever heard. Rama would be coming for a festival. All of those stories that Valmiki had told through poetry could be told to Rama. Kusa and Lava rehearsed for months. Everyday, their mother listened, often with tears in her eyes. They could not wait to see their father and tell his story through beautiful poetry,  

Author's Note: My oldest sister is now in her third trimester, so she kind of inspired this story. I added a lot more of Sita's feelings and maternal instincts as she went through her pregnancy and motherhood. Since she was raising the boys without their father, I wanted to address some of the problems she may have had while they grew up, like having to explain to them why their father was absent, although I'm not actually sure why he sent Sita away. In my story, I assumed that Rama had sent her away for a good reason, because I couldn't imagine him not having at least a pretty good reason for doing that. My story also added more to how Kusa and Lava were as they grew up.


Bibliography: Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this story had a very unique and touching perspective! You not only tell the story from Sita's point of view, as many people have done, but you focus on the motherly love between her and her sons, as opposed to the romance between her and Rama. This story was very touching, made even more so by reading your author's note. I liked that this had personal significance to you. I also liked your observations about the struggles of singe parenthood; I think that is a very relevant and relatable theme for people today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Taylor! What a wonderful story- I really liked how you pulled not only from the story, but from a more personal stance- your sister’s third trimester. The emotion you included was also very powerful and as well as the dialogue which was extremely enriching. Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories later on into the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor, I loved your story! I did my storytelling post over Sita being left alone in the forest as well, so I found it really interesting to see your perspective of it. I really enjoyed all of the emotion that you put into this story, and how you made it relatable. I also loved that your sister was your inspiration! I think your story was really well worded and formated, and had little to none grammar errors! Great job, I definitely look forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taylor! I liked your story! It was wonderfully personal and full of emotion! I loved the emphasis on relationship that comes from your dialogue. The sons really respect their mother and the love that they share is strong. I really like the focus on Sita as a mother instead of just a wife or queen! I look forward to seeing more from you this semester! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor, I liked your story for so many different reasons. First off, as a mother of one boy and in my third trimester (like your sister!) with another boy, it hits close to home. I think you captured a mothers emotions really well. Also, like you, I do not really know the reasoning behind Raman sending Sita to the forest but I like to think that you are right in this story and it was for a good reason. This version of the story with her and her sons in the forest makes it seem like it was not bad at all and Sita did a good job mothering them and I am glad you focused on the positive and not the negative of her exile! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your story! The way you write is very easy to understand and follow but also intriguing and fun! I especially liked how you followed Sitas pregnancy to term and described her feelings throughout that experience and also her emotions as she raised two unknowing princes! This was very creative insight into their lives! Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete