Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 5: Reading Diary B

THE GOLDEN DEER
Ravana is so foolish for not listening to Maricha's advice. It is Ravana's foolishness that leads to his destruction, nothing else. I really liked that this story gave us more dialogue with Maricha than Narayan's version, because Maricha is one of my characters in my storybook! Although in this story, he still turns out to make the wrong decision, he really did strive to follow Dharma before Ravana approached him. I thought it was interesting what Maricha said about it being better to be killed by the better man. I don't think I agree with this, because in this case, it means that you are helping the more evil man succeed. I definitely found myself feeling sorry for Maricha.
Lakshmana was definitely more wise than Rama and Sita in this story. He sees through the illusion so easily. Although I like Sita, she is so stupid in this story! How could she not see through Ravana's plan! For both Rama and Lakshmana to be drawn away and then for some mysterious man to show up? Her gut instinct should be telling her that something is wrong with the situation!
I loved how bravely Jatayu fought to get Sita back. Although Jatayu was not a major character, I thought he was one of the most valiant characters in the whole book, and I felt very sad for his death.

HANUMAN
Ravana is such a crazy psychopath! I will kidnap you so that you will love me? How does that make any sense? Wouldn't that be great if what Indra said was true, that anyone who desires an unwilling woman burns himself. Rape is such a problem in our world, and I think men who think they can touch a woman when she resists should be punished to the full extent of the law. The story about Rambha was so incredibly sad. I felt so bad for her.
The story of Riksharaja was a little bit weird to me! What was the sex change after going into the water? And then after having babies, returning to a male? Definitely a strange story! Do Sugriva and Vali call Riksharaja, mom or dad? Just curious.
I thought Vayu's bonding with Hanuman was so sweet, especially after his mother abandoned him in that cave!
It was really interesting how Savari went into the fire to be returned to her younger form and taken away with Indra! It's like Savari was just waiting for Rama to fulfill her purpose in that life and could finally move on after telling him about Sugriva, Vali, and Hanuman.
I think that Rama was so sensitive to Sugriva's problems because he also had been separated from his wife. I wonder if that was not the case if he would have killed Vali the way he did. This chapter made me really sad, especially when Queen Tara killed herself after Vali was murdered. The way that Rama killed Vali definitely did not seem noble to me.

THE SEARCH
The imagery in this chapter is so incredibly vivid! It's amazing how descriptive this author can be. I didn't know that anyone could describe things so much.
I didn't realize in the last book how many people came to help Rama! It seems like all the different monkey species came to assist them, along with a bunch of bears!
The idea of a search party for the entire world seems so crazy to me! Searching the whole world for one person would be impossible!
What is with people being so willing to commit suicide and die?! I don't understand why everyone promises to end their life in this book if things don't happen at exactly the right time!

No comments:

Post a Comment