Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 4: Reading Diary A

Chapter 1: Born as a Man
The first thing I noticed that was different about this book compared to Narayan's is that the whole book is a story within a story. The storytelling style is of someone telling the story of Ramayana to someone else. I also think it's interesting how Valmiki becomes not just the poet, but also an important part of the story. I like that this version of Ramayana gave us more background on Valmiki.
Now I'm really confused. Last I heard from Narayan's Ramayana, Rama and Sita were still together after Rama defeated Ravana. What could have happened to them to cause Rama to banish her and their unborn children to the forest! After everything she did for him and all the loyalty she showed him, I find that to be really terrible! It makes me sad that Lava and Kusa don't get to grow up with both of their parents, but I think it's wonderful that they will be told all about their father through Valmiki's poetry.
I wish Rama could know that those two boys were his son. I hope that the whole family is reunited by the end of the book!
I thought that the description of heaven after Ravana attacked really helped me better understand the gods' motives in sending Rama to destroy the rakshasas. It was so sad to hear Indra's account of what had happened to his home. I always thought it was weird that Brahma would give Ravana invincibility to the gods, so I am glad this book addressed that.
I have really enjoyed how this book has given us so much more background and explanation compared to Narayan's version. I thought it was really interesting to hear the conversation between Indra and Vishnu before Vishnu takes his human form.
I thought it was interesting how Dasaratha gave two servings of rice to Sumitra and she ended up having two sons.

Chapter 2: The Thorn in the World's Side
I thought the history of the creation of Rakshasas was really interesting, especially how they are conceived and born in one day and reach their mothers' age the day they are born. How crazy would that be! I'm not sure how I felt about the removal of all of the rakshasas from earth. It's not like they were all bad, just the human-eating ones. Why were they all forced out of Lanka City?
I think this chapter was really interesting to me because it explained how Ravana and his siblings came to be. It seems that this book will go much farther into Ravana's family, his siblings, wives, and children. Under Ravana's rule, the rakshasas are out of control! They have no honor or morals! I didn't even know of the Yakshas from Narayan's version, but I thought it was really sad when they were destroyed. I wish that Shiva had kept Ravana as a prisoner, it could have saved so many lives! Who cares if he can sing pretty? He is evil!
I hate to say this, but I have definitely found Buck's version to be much more difficult to stay interested in. I think this is likely because I cannot relate at all to Ravana, and that is all the story has been about so far. It's been frustrating how easy it is for him to go around conquering everybody because they just surrender to him. He doesn't deserve the power that he has. It is interesting, however, to learn how many of the gifts bestowed by Brahma, like the chariot given to Indrajit during the war against Rama, originated.

Chapter 3: Taste This Water

Finally, we get to hear about Rama! I think it's interesting how Thataka is not even in this chapter, only her sons. I also didn't realize that Sita was not born to a human mother! She's actually half-divine. I think it's wonderful that King Janaka informed Rama that "Sita has the final consent." That definitely isn't common in stories like these where women are just given away to men without any thought for how they feel. I liked that in their wedding vows, Janaka said,"Sita, love him well forever, walk with him as his wife and follow him like his own shadow forever." I thought that was really appropriate because she refused to be separated him when he was banished, instead walking with him and following him anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment