Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 6: Reading Diary A

HANUMAN'S JUMP
What a terrible way to hear the news of your brother's passing! Poor Sampati! Jatayu was such a wonderful character, I was definitely sad when he died. It's so interesting how so many characters in this book have these supernatural powers, like Hanuman being able to grow large enough to just cross the sea in one giant leap. I also think it's interesting to meet characters in this book, that were not included in Narayana's retelling, like Mainaka. Her story kind of made me think of the new movie, Maleficent, with all the other people of her race getting their wings cut off. I think it would be interesting to retell Mainaka's story in my storytelling,
Sinhika sounded like such a terrible creature. The shadow thing made me think of Peter Pan. Her death seemed pretty gruesome. What a terrible way to die!
I thought it was weird how they described Lanka to be such a beautiful place. I would have thought it would have been dark and dreary since it is Ravana's kingdom. I couldn't help but think of Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter when Hanuman turned into a tabby cat. It was so weird how Lanka was both a city and a person, I was surprised at how diverse the asuras were described to be. Handsome, gruesome, pink, pale, dark, and anywhere in between!
How many beautiful wives can one man have! Goodness gracious! And he still feels the need to steal another man's wife? That's ludicrous!
It's was nice to see that Vayu, the wind god, was looking out for his son, Hanuman!

HERE I AM
I can't imagine how terrible things must have been for Sita! Hanuman's description of her is so sad. I love her attitude toward Ravana though! She has not given up hope on Rama and his ability to destroy Ravana! Those wives are terrifying! I think it's funny how they act like they're trying to be nice, but then threaten to "eat her up". Trijata was so kind and helpful to Sita! I'm so excited to include her in my storybook! I'm disappointed that her story is not longer than that, but she did save Sita! I love how Hanuman was so encouraging to Sita, and really lifted her mood. I'm sure she really needed that. I thought it was wonderful how Hanuman wreaked havoc on Lanka before he left!
Indrajit is such an interesting character. Definitely much different than his father! I thought it was interesting how he could take two such different forms.

THE NEW MOON
Vibhishana will be such a great character for my storybook! I love how he refuses to follow Ravana's orders in this chapter! Dadhimuska was not a very nice character! No one goes around kicking Hanuman, like he's better than him! I loved Hanuman's little pep talk at the end of the reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment