Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Week 5: Reading Diary A

BHARATA RETURNS
Bharata's dream, described in this chapter, was incredibly symbolic. It's like his subconscious could sense that something was wrong. It's amazing how strong human's intuition and subconscious can be in sensing when something terrible has happened. How ominous it must have been for Satrughna and Bharata when entering their city, but yet not knowing what had happened. I'm sure that there were so many different scenarios running through their heads!
I can't believe that Kaikeyi has the nerve to ask, "Why are you not delighted?", after telling Bharata that his father is dead and his dear brother has been banished! Is she mental?? Of course he is not delighted, that is his family, and he actually cares about them! What a terrible person, Kaikeyi is!
I like that in Buck's version, they give Satrughna a little more dialogue, I always thought it was weird how little he was involved in the story. I also like that in this version, everyone immediately trusts and consoles Bharata. This seems more appropriate because they all knew his character before he left, so why should they believe he would do something so out of character like they did in Narayan's version?
I thought it was interesting that Bharata was able to forgive his mother for her wicked actions. I did not quite expect that. I thought he disowned her permanently. I noticed that this part of the book deviated from Narayan's version. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Bharata was able to perform his father's pyre burning. I don't know how I felt about Kaikeyi being able to participate in mourning the loss of Dasaratha with his other two wives, because she caused his death. I thought she would have been banished.

THE SANDALS
How awesome would it be to have Viswakarman build your house and garden! I wonder if Bharadwaja will keep it that way after everybody leaves! Well I read a little farther,, and apparently not. Although I bet Bharadwaja prefers the simpler things. It's so true what Bharadwaja said about Kaikeyi. Although her actions seemed terrible, they were so necessary for the fulfillment of Rama's destiny.
I really loved this quote from Bharata:
"It is true, that nights gone by do not return, and every day shortens our lives. But I think some things endure. Surely love endures beyound our brief lives."
This is such a beautiful thought. While we may look at life as simply an hourglass that runs our leaving nothing behind, this is not accurate. We all leave something behind that remains, especially love.
I found the whole "walking into a fire and dying" sentiment to be a little dramatic! I mean at least give him more than a day to return!
I thought it was interesting how the sandals had a magical property to them.

PART 2: SITA'S RESCUE
It's crazy that all of the action of Rama's exile occurs only in the fourteenth year! I didn't realize that in Narayan's version.
That story about Ilwala and Vatapi was rather disturbing. How terrible and sadistic these two asuras are! I'm glad that they got what they had coming to them at the hands of Agastya.
I liked that the book introduced us to the Valakhilyas. It's nice to see who all Rama is protecting by destroying Ravana and his demon army. I like what they said about war being better than fear, especially when they are living out of fear of someone so powerful, but yet so cruel and immoral. It made me think of the current dilemma in the world with ISIS. People are living fear of these terrorists and I wonder if war would be better in this case.
The story about Garuda was interesting at all, but it definitely seemed quite drawn out when it did not contribute to the actual plot of the story at all. Based on the stories I have read, I don't know how much I like Indra. He kind of seems like he thinks he is better than he is. I liked Garuda though, especially since he went through all of that to free his mother!  
I actually already read the story about Viradha/Tumburu because he will be featured in my storybook! Although his story here is a bit short, I found him to be an incredibly interesting character! He must have felt so much guilt for the things he did while he was trapped in the demon's body!
This version was different in that Surpanakha did not even try to disguise herself. Lakshmana and Rama still try to be nice to her anyways, at least before she goes after Sita. Maybe I'm forgetting, but I don't really remember Khara in Narayan's version. It's not like he lasted long in this story either though!

No comments:

Post a Comment