Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week 3: Reading Diary B


MEMENTO FROM RAMA
I was glad to see that Sita remained loyal to Rama, but it was really upsetting to see her frightened and imprisoned like that,wanting to end her life. I can't imagine how terrifying those months had been for her. I'm also happy that Hanuman was not killed by Ravana, because Hanuman has been so loyal and brave for Rama. He even wreaked havoc on Ravana's city.

RAVANA IN COUNCIL
I love how Ravana's commander-in-chief chastised him for stealing Sita while Rama and Lakshmana were away. That was such a cowardice move, and also a stupid move. It's also ignorant of them to continue to underestimate Rama and Lakshmana as simple human beings who can be easily defeated. Their cockiness will surely lead to their downfall. Vibishana is the only smart one in the whole council. He is the only one who realizes that Ravana is in a dangerous spot right now. Ravana really should have listened to him and released Sita. 

ACROSS THE OCEAN
I think this was definitely a difficult choice that Rama had to make. On the one hand, I do think Vibishana truly has a good heart, but that is not an easy thing to know for sure. Vibishana could be fooling them as a double agent, however, based on what I know, I believe that Vibishana came here because he believes in Rama and Ravana threatened to kill him if he stayed. Rama made the right decision in accepting him. 

THE SIEGE OF LANKA
For this chapter, I was imagining a battle in the Planet of the Apes movie. Ravana continues throughout the battle to be arrogant and brash. I was a little surprised that Rama let Ravana go when he could have defeated him. That was honorable, but I also think when someone is as evil as Ravana, maybe he doesn’t deserve the same respect that others do. I also thought about the difference between Rama and his brothers, who have so much respect, loyalty, and love for him, compared to Ravana and his brothers, who have no loyalty or respect for him and fear him.

RAMA AND RAVANA IN BATTLE
Finally, Rama and Ravana will face each other! I thought it was sweet that Rama protected Lakshmana from Mahodara. What an intense battle! It kind of reminded me of a duel in Harry Potter with them attacking and countering the attacks with what seemed like incantations. While I was glad that Rama came out victorious, there was something sad about Ravana’s death.

INTERLUDE
That was ridiculous! How could Rama be so cold after all she had been through, as though she asked to be away from him in a stranger’s house! This chapter definitely upset me. I thought Rama was better than that.

THE CORONATION

What a happy ending, even for Kaikeyi! Overall, I really enjoyed this book! It was so easy to read because the characters were so likable. It was amazing how many loyal people Rama had serving him, such as Bharata, Lakshmana, Sita, and Hanuman. All of those characters truly made the story. 

1 comment:

  1. I found it interesting and extremely helpful how you have this reading diary set up. Commenting on what happened in each chapter is a good way to parallel Professor Gibbs' reading guides since hers are set up in a similar way (just with event instead of personal commentary). I was looking through a few other people's reading diary posts for the end of the first book because I wanted to see how they felt about the last chapters. I am relieved to see that it was not only me that felt the same way you did about how Rama treated Sita after she had been imprisoned so long! Definitely agree with you that it was an upsetting chapter!

    ReplyDelete