Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week 3: Reading Diary A

So I just realized that the book I have is numbered differently, so I’ve already read the beginning of the assigned reading for this week. Last I read, Jatayu valiantly passed away.

VALI
The author has definitely set this chapter up to be dramatic and disappointing. It seems that Rama will make a terrible mistake in this part of the story. Although I have found Rama to be a very honorable character, even the most noble of people can make huge mistakes. This chapter very much reminds me of Planet of the Apes, as the monkeys are highly intelligent beings.

Sugreeva’s Story
Wow, what a terrible story! Sugreeva has suffered so much. The injustice of the situation upsets me. It’s amazing how a misunderstood situation can turn into something so much worse when people don’t give others a chance. It makes me angry that Vali would be so rash.

Dundubi’s Story
It sounds like Dundubi had a death wish! Also, how could two people duel for a whole year. It seems that Dundubi got his wish.

Finally, a mention of Sita! It seemed that Rama had all but forgotten her. He must feel terribly powerless since Sita came with him for his 14 years of exile, but he was unable to protect her. That is definitely something that is still common in modern times. For a man to be unable to protect the woman he loves from harm; it is one of the most terrible feelings he can have.

This was a really sad chapter. Although, it seemed that Vali was still in the wrong in the conflict with his brother, I feel that the conflict could have ended without the death of Vali, especially after seeing how upset Sugreeva was by the death of his brother. I do disagree with how Rama handled the situation by hiding and killing Vali. I do not think this was honorable or noble. Rama should have confronted Vali himself. In these epics, it seems that blood is spilled over conflicts that words could have solved. I wish that Rama had not killed Vali, but I do understand his tendency to help Sugreeva, especially after the story that he was told. There’s two sides to every story though. Each side is naturally biased.

WHEN THE WINDS CHASE
I really like that Rama advised Sugreeva to “not hurt anyone’s feelings, not even the lowliest.” I think that shows a person’s true character. There’s a quote that reads this:

Image Information: Quote by James D. Miles
Web Source: Flickr


I absolutely love this quote, and Rama’s words very much reminded me of it.

Rama is very moody in this chapter. It’s interesting to see how the weather affects his moods, just like for us. Rama’s words were overly harsh about Sugreeva. He would destroy every monkey in the world? I think that’s called genocide..


I was glad that Tara and the other monkeys were able to divert the situation when Lakshmana arrived. I really didn’t want there to be conflict there. I also got really worried when the search party almost gave up hope! I was glad to see that Hanuman realized his own powers, however I also appreciate the humility that Hanuman displays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment